July 23, 2014

MBFW Berlin Day 1: Ethical Fashionshow // Rebekka Ruétz


Yeah, I know, I am two weeks late with all my Berlin fashion week posts, but at this moment, I am superbusy with travel plans and soon I'll let you guys know where I'm actually going! But this week, it's all about the Berlin Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2015. On the very first day, I made it to the Opening Speech of the Ethical Fashionshow held by actress and founder of Miwai, an eco-fashion store, Inez Bjørg David. She said that Eco-Fashion is indeed becoming Mainstream, so we are on the right path, and also this and the Green Showroom is growing and growing, together we can do this!


Many interesting labels presented their new collections, but also new ways and materials in how to make sustainable fashion. I always love to hear about new eco labels which are not only sustainable, organic, fairtrade and vegan, but fashionable and chic at the same time. Just a few days right before I went to Fashion Week, I was looking for eco skate shoes, and when I typed in: biodegradable shoes.. google recommended us the brand Oat from the Netherlands. 

So here, I met these shoes again: Oats-Shoes that bloom. You really need to check their webpage because they make pretty nice sneakers for the summe. And are they really biodegradable? I did not try it, but what the founders said was that you can bury the shoe in the ground and when time flies by, wildflowers are growing out of the shoe. The seeds are actually hidden in the tongue of the sneaker which is a neat idea, as well.


Strolling through the fair, we noticed OMYBAG and their elegant leather bags. The owner and head designer Paulien Wesselink told us that the leather is coming from India and that they are working closely with a fairtrade organization to ensure the producers a safe, fair and humane working environment. I was thrilled about the young women behind the brand, the female power and the fact that you can actually have a leather bag without guilt, 
it's not only a leather bag, but one with a story behind it. 


Rewrap is the 3rd Dutch Label I've wanted to show you from the Ethical Fashionshow, yes, there were many dutch eco-labels, I guess, they are a bit ahead of us Germans, but anyways. These guys are working after the Cradle-to-Cradle principle, which means that there is always a cycle of ressources and no waste at all. Learn more about this here. Rewrap is making cases for laptops, tablets and phones, but will bring a new product to the market: a bag made out of trees and coconuts. I really liked the shape of the bag but also the unique and timeless design.


Right after the Ethical Fashionfair, I went to the Rebekka Ruétz Spring/Summer 2015 Show and was positively surprised about the new location of the MBFW Tent. This summer every runway show was presented in an ice stadium in Berlin Wedding, therefore it was very close from where I lived.


The collection was mostly dominated by fresh springy colors like mint, yellow, rose and white. And as you can see, the designer is mixing and matching different materials to create a sophisticated but yet feminine look. The fake leather belts are bringing some clear contrasts to the more playful wide pieces. I loved the very first look with the grey-white suit and the several blouses made out of silk. But what about you? Which one do you like best?

P.S.: I apologize for the blurry pictures, but I hope you'll get the looks ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys, I appreciate every comment and welcome you to join me in my process. Would love to hear from you, be it criticism or new ideas, thank you for your thoughts!

Love, Minh